June is National Indigenous History Month in Canada, an opportunity to learn about the unique cultures, traditions and experiences of First Nations, Inuit and Métis. This National Indigenous History Month, the team at Ontario Presents recognizes the continued great work of our Indigenous colleagues and all of the talented Indigenous artists from Turtle Island.
Below are a few ways to celebrate the work that Indigenous artists continue to create and share throughout the month of June. We recommend exploring your community to see what programming is available.
• Read through the Indigenous Artist Spotlight interview series on our blog
• Listen deeply at Aalaapi | ᐋᓛᐱ from June 8th - 10th, 2023 in Toronto
• Explore the National Indigenous History Month programming at the National Arts Centre in Ottawa
• Participate in the #ReconcileThis social media campaign to amplify and uplift Indigenous voices online
• View The UNcommon Wealth - Video Series curated by Denise Bolduc and her international co-creators Dolina Wehipeihana and Jacob Boehme
• Watch the Reclaim(ed) docuseries hosted by Marika Sila and Kairyn Potts on Snapchat
We are so thankful for the diversity of vibrant cultures that are rooted in this land, and the artists that continue to share their stories, ideas and culture with all of us. The team at Ontario Presents continues to support the Indigenous community and work towards the resurgence of Indigenous cultures on this land. This work continues well beyond one day or month.